Pages

Saturday 14 October 2017

Nia has beautiful long hair

Nia has beautiful long hair. Every morning before breakfast Grandma would brush his hair with special oil and then braid it with fresh coconut leaves and flowers. People always were wanting to touch it. Nia’s hair was touch the most by the littlest ones. They would swing and pull on his braid until he yelled “please guys please don't pull my hair so hard”. Nia loves his long hair but sometimes he dreams of cutting it off. Why can't I cut my hair he said. In a braid you can roll it up on top of your head but Nia would rather it hang down his back.


She said “this is for you to keep my grandmother mother gave to me when I was a little girl just like you are now. You can put this in your hair  said “when you do a special dance on grandma's birthday that's when you can have your hair down your back.” Grandma open the chest of drawers and take out a beautiful tortoise shell comb for Nia to wear. Whenever when  you do you're a special dance.”  Reaching out to hold Grandma's hand, “I know just how you feel” she said. “Grandma I felt the same way when my grandmother gave it to me it's beautiful and I thank you so much”.


Later Nia’s grandmother died.


Grandma’s daughters and granddaughters went to Nai’s hair cutting ceremony.  Nia ask Mum “why do we have haircutting ceremonies”? Nia is a little nervous because he likes his hair. But Grandma will be proud of me following the customs of Tonga thought Nia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.