Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

The First Settlers - Maori and Maui Stories


When I was reading Maui and the great fish, I learnt 3 facts about Maui, here they are.
  • Fact 1:  Maui  has very mean brothers .
  • Fact 2: He is pretty good, at Tricking  people.
  • Fact 3: Maui  is very brave.


I have heard these stories about  Maui before. I remember a story about Maui and the fish. The story is about how Maui pulled up the North Island of New Zealand. The fish is a stingray. The South Island is his waka. I also remember a story about how Maui found his mum.
Another story is about how Maui slowed the sun down. I have read a picture book about how Maui slowed the sun down. In the pictures he throw ropes over the sun and tied the sun down. He then beat the sun with his weapons until the sun agreed to move slowly across the sky.

All these stories about about Maui and his adventures as well as about NZ.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben!

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey blogging programme. We are so happy that you have joined us this year! Both Nicky and I will be reading your posts and providing comments. You may also find that you have comments from some of our team members, including Leo, Willy, Billy and Ruby.

    As you make your way through the programme you will learn even more about New Zealand's history, culture and mythology. I personally love Maori mythology and enjoy reading all about Maui, Tane, Kupe and others. My favourite Maui book at the moment is 'How Maui Slowed the Sun.'

    Do you have a favourite Maori myth or story?

    I hope that you will continue to post Summer Learning Journey activity blogs through the summer. The programme is open until Friday 26 January!

    Blog with you again soon,

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel my favourite Maori story is hatupatu and the bird woman

      Delete
    2. Hi Ben,

      Thanks for writing back. I'm so sorry that it took me awhile to reply but your message got stuck in my 'promotional' mail in my gmail for some reason. I would love to know more about the story of Hatupatu and the bird woman. What is the plot of the story?

      If you have time, I'd love to know more about the story and will check my email very carefully over the next few days to see if you have written back!

      Best of luck with the beginning of your new school year at Glen Taylor. I'll look forward to seeing you when I come into school early in the term to hand out the certificates and prizes for the Summer Learning Journey programme.

      See you then,
      Rachel :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.